Thursday 22 September 2011

Burpham Pallid Harrier (22 September 2011)

Thursday 22 September 2011.  I was very disappointed with my views of the Pallid Harrier on Sunday when the distance led to me coming away thinking it was a Montagu's.  It was being seen with more regularity near Burpham village so I was keen to try again.  I drove into work to allow a quick getaway and left early arriving at Burpham at about 3.30pm where I saw John King.  We saw the bird on three occasions to dusk, firstly from virtually where we had parked on Sunday and twice in the valley leading away NW from the village.  Each time it caught what appeared to be a small rodent and spent several minutes on the ground eating it.  Views were good through a telescope although it never came particularly close.  It appeared so proficient at catching prey that it wasn't seen quartering for very long which was a shame.  JK and I also saw an Osprey flying SE, 2 Red Kites, a distant Marsh Harrier on a post, Peregrine, 6 Kestrels, 50+ Grey and 2 Red-legged Partridges and 250+ Swallows.  Still no Hobby for me with time fast running out ...





Much better views of the Pallid Harrier at Burpham




Even better views of a Sparrowhawk at Burpham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.