Tuesday 27 April 1982

30 years ago: 27 April 1982, Everest Trek day 8, Periche to Dulay

Tuesday 27th April 1982:  Periche to Khumjung and Dulay (11 miles)
After a late start from Periche (07:30) I made good time to Pangboche and Thyangboche.  An attempted short cut to Phortse, which would have avoided Thyangboche, proved abortive and I turned back after a short distance as a cliff slide had taken away the path and I didn’t feel confident of clambering around it.  It was a nice morning for walking and I had excellent views of Blood Pheasant in the woods just before arriving at Thyangboche at 11:00.  Superb as Thyangboche was I decided not to stay and left after an enjoyable plate of boiled potatoes.  I got to Khumjung (12,400 ft) by 14:20, after climbing down to cross the Dudh Kosi.  Having arrived I didn’t feel like staying here either so returned to the turning to Gokyo (I’d not come far out of the way), past Trashinga and over a ridge at 13,000 ft intending to reach Phorste for the night.  Once over the ridge it was raining and I was in the clouds until I’d dropped much lower to a different (higher) part of the Dudh Kosi.  Phortse was across the river and 500 ft up a hillside in the wrong direction, which I hadn’t fully appreciated when considering staying there, so as it was only 16:00 I decided to press on to Dulay (13,400 ft).  The trail went up into good looking forest again but I was soon back into the clouds.  I saw more pheasants, including male Impayan and Blood in the same field, and several bluetails.  I reached the lodge in Dulay at 17:40 by which time I was very pleased to arrive.  It was a long day, even with the late start, but despite my exertions I didn’t sleep too well.

Birds seen:  Black Kite 7, Blood Pheasant 5 males and 4 females, Impeyan Pheasant 9 males and 2 females, Snow Pigeon 250, Rufous Turtle Dove 3, Olive-backed Pipit 3, Rosy Pipit 1, Black-backed Wagtail 1, Brown Dipper 2, Rufous-breasted Accentor 4, Robin Accentor 1, Red-flanked Bluetail 15, Blue-fronted Redstart 20, River Chat 1, Blue Whistling Thrush 6, Rufous-capped Bush Warbler 1, Golden-spectacled Warbler 1, Orange-barred Leaf Warbler 2, Lemon-rumped Warbler 15, Tickell’s Warbler 4, Slaty-blue Flycatcher 1, Rufous-gorgetted Flycatcher 1, Black-faced Laughingthrush 1, White-browed Fulvetta 2, Grey-crested Tit 6, Black-crested Tit 4, Grey-backed Shrike 1, Chough 10, Large-billed Crow 10, Beautiful Rosefinch 25, White-winged Grosbeak 10.

looking south from Orsho towards Pangboche

Chorten and prayer stones by the trail south of Pangboche, Thyangboche ridge in middle distance



Blood Pheasant near Thyangboche


male Himalayan Red-flanked Bluetail near Thyangboche

Punkl with many more Rhodedendrons in bloom than there had been five days earlier




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.